Sunday 23 August 2009

PULLED THE TRIGGER

If you've been a regular visitor here you will no doubt know that I have been investigating the whole running barefoot thing for a few months. It really took off when I read the book Born to Run. Seemingly, the mounting evidence is indicating that modern running shoes are responsible for MOST modern running injuries. I've read a lot about it, and listened to any number of podcasts/interviews about it, but, up until today, I have been on the fence about taking the plunge. This morning, during my 10 miler along the Berkeley/Emeryville waterfront, I listened to episode #43 of the runnersroundtable podcast. It knocked me off my perch on the fence. This afternoon I purchased my Vibram 5 Fingers. I can not wait, now that I've taken the plunge, to hit the ground running in them. I still have questions, though. Time and experience will, hopefully, provide the answers.


Chief among those questions is...why have I not hurt more, while wearing shoes? I am three weeks away from my 29th marathon in just over 7 years...and my 10th since December 2008. I am 57 years old, and not blessed with the proverbial runner's body. However, I have only come close to a running injury once. The first time I ran CIM in Sacramento, in 2004, I experienced knitting-needle-thru-the-left-knee pains at mile 17. Wound up walking the rest of the way. Since then, I have committed myself more diligently to the Galloway run/walk method and have not even come close to another injury. All that time I was wearing shoes. Why didn't I experience more pain, additional injury? Not a bad "problem" to have, right?


My other wondering is about how much "better" I might get doing this distance running thing, if the claims that running sans shoes makes one's feet and legs and body and, maybe even, the mind, stronger. I've never been concerned about speed. Interested, rather, in doing the distance, finishing in a more joyful state of mind and body. We'll see, huh? My priorities just might adjust, presented with unforeseen possibilities.


Gotta run!


10 comments:

shari said...

those are weird...NICE SHOES!

TP said...

Slick and Sexy...you are gonna rock those things!

TokyoRacer said...

I'm very interested to learn how you like them.

Hua said...

Hello Michael,

Those are really interesting shoes. I'm glad you've been running without any serious injury! I'm sure running is helping you to stay in shape.

I really enjoyed reading your blog and learning about running. With your positive outlook on life, I feel that your blog would be a great addition to Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network (HBN). The HBN has over 2,600 bloggers that share a common goal to share their knowledge with others, which enables Wellsphere to provide information that is personal and relevant to over 6 million visitors a month.

Feel free to visit our Health Blogger Network at <"http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger">, where you can apply to join. Or just email me at hua [at] wellsphere [dot] com.

Have a great day!
Hua
Director of Blogger Networks

RoadBunner said...

I just got "Born to Run" and am interested in seeing what all of the hype I have been hearing about entails. I am actually a little scared to dive into the book since it seems so many people are converts afterwards! But I'll have an open mind about it and am curious about the science behind it all.

Definitely curious about how you like running in your new shoes.

s p running said...

let us know how they work out for you --

Mountain Goat
(Goon Squad Nation)

AZ said...

I find it incredibly interesting that you`d change to the five fingers after running virtually injury free. If it`s not broke...

But I have read "Born to Run" too and the arguments are compelling. I`ll be looking forward to see how this comes out for you. Best of luck.

leslie said...

I have intermittent plantar fasciitis, which makes the whole no shoe thing scary to me. But I can't wait to hear how they work for you!

Bluebunny said...

Those shoes are weird, but I am curious to see how you like them. I've been back to running 2-3 times a week and even bought a new pair of running shorts for the first time in....well, ever. Yep, I was still running in those blue ones I had at the marathon back in 2004...lol. Anywho, I'm curious about barefoot running b/c I'd like to run more often but can't b/c it hurts my knees. If all I need to do is ditch my shoes that would be awesome. Let me know!

Unknown said...

Mike-good luck with the VFFs. I'll be watching your blog with great interest. I know that many have felt initial relief running barefoot and I hope that holds up over time for you. Keep on running!