I'm training to run the Austin Marathon in February...in my Vibram Five Fingers. The only running injury I've ever had was sustained while trying to do too much in my "barefoot shoes." Not planning to go through that again. I've gone nine miles in the VFFs in the last ten days. Seven more are planned for tomorrow.
I was feeling like a slacker...until I did my weekly check-in on all the runners' blogs I follow. Not sure if it's just the athletes I'm interested in...or if it's a wider epidemic...but it seems as though every other blog I read is all about being injured. Did you all kick off the fall marathon season with a tad too much zeal?
I'm hearing stories of torn tendons, twisted ankles, fractured metatarsyls, piercing knee pain, aching backs...and fronts. I'm hearing about depression, dreams-delayed...or even cancelled. Too sad. I think I'll stick with slow and steady. I really want some more Texas barbeque in February.
The other thing I'm discovering in many of the blogs I read is...somebody's getting some swag...and it ain't me. What's up with that?
I've been blogging about running for seven of the nine years I've been a marathoner...and I've never gotten anything to giveaway. I'm reading about bloggers giving away sunglasses, compression socks, edible goodies, energy drinks, technical wear, even running shoes, for heaven's sake! What is your secret, people?
One of my very few running rituals is that I eat an English Mars bar at mile 17...every freakin' time...and I've even gotten other runners to try the Mars magic during their runs. So, have I even gotten even ONE free Mars bar? No, I tell you, NO! (Even after my friend Leslie wrote to Mars on my behalf!)
Just in case any marketing people read this...and would like to repair this gross injustice...here's a list of stuff I'd like. I promise to give some of it away...and to write really bitchin' reviews! (I'm a journalist with integrity in my professional life...but this is a running blog. Hello!)
1. A lifetime supply of the aforementioned Mars bars. (But...they must be made in England...or Ireland...the Canadian or Australian ones just won't do.)
2. Vibram Five Fingers...any one of the running models. The ones I have now will surely wear out by Austin...so I wouldn't mind a couple of new pairs. (One for me...one to give away.)
3. Lifetime plane tickets on Southwest...and/or Virgin Atlantic. The former will get me pretty much anywhere I want to run in the USA...the latter will get me to London. From there I'll get myself to Greece, or Italy, or Spain, or Estonia, or France, or Germany, or Romania. Of course, if you represent RyanAir, EasyJet, or WizzAir...have your peoples call my peoples.
4. Top class accomodation at fancy-dancy hotels near marathon starting lines around the world. I have mostly stayed at hostels, which are okay...but if I ain't paying, any Ritz Carlton or W would be just fine!
5. A Garmin Forerunner 410 would be nice.
6. As would an Apple iPod Nano. I have a third generation video iPod...it's awfully big!
7. An iPhone 4 would be okay...with free unlimited service...so I could call home from anywhere to announce my latest finish. And, surely, an extra to give away.
8. Did I mention the Mars bars?
I'm just sayin'.....